OL teros

On-line teros

12v resistor for led

 To power an LED from 12V, you need a series resistor to limit current and prevent burnout, calculated using Ohm's Law with the formula: R = (Vs - Vf) / I, where Vs is supply voltage (12V), Vf is the LED's forward voltage (2-3.5V depending on color), and I is the desired current (e.g., 0.01A for 10mA). For example, a white LED (Vf ~3.4V) at 10mA needs (12-3.4)/0.01 = 860Ω, so use a standard 820Ω or 1kΩ resistor. Remember to also calculate power: P = (Vs - Vf) * I to choose a resistor with sufficient wattage (e.g., 1/4W or higher). 

Calculation Steps
  1. Find LED Specs: Check the LED's datasheet for its Forward Voltage (Vf) and recommended Forward Current (I) (usually in milliamps, mA).
    • Typical Vf: Red ~2V, Green ~2.1V, Blue/White ~3.2V-3.4V.
    • Typical I: 10mA to 20mA is common.
  2. Calculate Voltage Drop Across Resistor: V_resistor = Supply Voltage (12V) - Vf.
  3. Calculate Resistance (R): R = V_resistor / I (convert mA to Amps by dividing by 1000).
  4. Choose Standard Value: Pick the nearest higher standard resistor value (e.g., if you calculate 860Ω, use 820Ω or 1kΩ).
  5. Calculate Power (P): P = V_resistor * I. Select a resistor with a wattage rating (like 1/4W, 1/2W) higher than your calculated power. 
Example: White LED (Vf=3.4V, I=10mA)
  • V_resistor = 12V - 3.4V = 8.6V
  • R = 8.6V / 0.01A = 860Ω (Use 820Ω or 1kΩ).
  • P = 8.6V * 0.01A = 0.086W (A 1/4W resistor is fine). 
For Multiple LEDs
  • In Series: Calculate for one LED, then add their Vf values.
  • In Parallel: Sum their currents (e.g., 2 LEDs at 10mA = 20mA total), then use the formula.